One of the most important components of a computer or mobile device is the keyboard, since the execution of specific commands depends on it, whether they are accessibility or playability, as well as the transcription of information and the organization of elements.
Keyboards are peripheral input devices that create a link between the user and the device, usually configured in the user’s language and writing mode. However, they can also fail. What should you do when the keyboard loses its standard configuration? Would it be convenient to call a technician or can you do it yourself? Well don’t worry, we will tell you how to configure the keyboard (for PC or mobile) from home in the simplest way possible.
How to configure the keyboard?
There are few, but precise, signs that determine that a keyboard is misconfigured. Whether you are on mobile or PC, pay attention to these signals to know if your keyboard is wrongly configured:
On mobile: The writing mode is changed, special characters that you do not recognize appear, the keyboard’s established format is altered, whether it is QWERTY, AZERTY or ShiftKey.
On the computer: Different characters appear from those that were intended to be typed, the digits are not dialed, the keyboard does not recognize the language in which you want to write.
If you notice any of these issues, you should review your keyboard settings. However, the way to do it varies depending on the operating system of your device, be it mobile or computer. Next, we explain how to access and modify the keyboard configuration.
How to configure my PC keyboard?
The flaw in the keyboard configuration is mostly due to the language being changed. Therefore, the steps to configure the keyboard of your computer are simple, they should only be followed to the letter so as not to alter the activity of another function of the operating system:
- In Windows 10, go to “Settings.” You can easily access this feature by typing “settings” in the search field next to the Start icon, or by clicking the gear icon on the left side of the Start menu.
- Press “Time and Language”.
- Once inside, press “Language”.
- Add the predominant keyboard language according to your region.
- Test the keyboard and check that the settings have been fixed.
- On older operating systems, you can access keyboard settings in Control Panel.
You can also resort to direct function commands or immediate solution, these will allow you to configure the keyboard quickly without having to access the control panel. To do this, you must follow these steps:
- Press the “Language” option (located on the lower right side) in the taskbar. It is marked with an abbreviation of the language used (EN / ESP). Here you can easily change the keyboard language.
- Check the “Numeric Lock” button, as it may be preventing the use of characters. According to your computer or laptop, you can press Fn + NumLK. This button is usually located at the top of the numeric keypad to the right of the keyboards.
- Press the command: “Alt + Ctrl + Shift + Caps Lock” to reset the keyboard configuration.
Keyboard errors can also be caused by a failure of the keyboard drivers.
To check that they work correctly, follow these steps:
- Enter the Control Panel and enter the term “keyboard” in the search field.
- You can open the advanced keyboard settings in the option “Check keyboard status”
Click on the Properties button.
- A window will open with several tabs. Choose “Drivers”.
- Windows will tell you if the keyboard drivers are working correctly or if they need to be updated.
How to configure the keyboard on Mac
On Mac computers, you will have to access the Configuration menu and go to the “Keyboard” tab, where the input source and language settings options will be displayed. In our case, choose the Spanish of your region as the language. The problem may also be due to your keyboard coming in another factory language.
How to configure the keyboard of an Android
In the Android operating system, flaws in keyboard settings are quite common. Mainly, this error is due to a change in keyboard type, rather than a general system failure. Error possibly caused by inadvertently pressing a button. Therefore, it is important that you take into account the following steps to reconfigure your keyboard:
- Enter the “Settings” menu and go to the “System” tab.
- Select “Language” or “Text Entry”.
- Choose the keyboard type, be it SwiftKey, QWERTY, QWERTZ or AZERTY (each one has its variation in the distribution of letters, numbers and special characters).
- Set the languages you want (English, Portuguese …).
- Select the main language you want to have on your keyboard.
Other operating systems, like iOS, have their own commands and configuration menu. Mainly, the user will have to go to the menu of settings or configurations, select the keyboard and follow the instructions according to the language and the type of keyboard that suits their writing skills.
The keyboard, on any device, loses configuration when its language properties are altered, causing letters and digits not to be correctly displayed on the screen. You only need to access the language preferences and correct the type of keyboard and the language with which you want your computer or mobile to be configured.
You may like also to read https://whizowl.co.uk/