Kodi is a powerful media player that allows you to stream video, television shows, movies, or series. You can also play live TV shows, listen to the radio or play some simple video games among other things. Kodi is capable of playing almost any type of existing video format, which makes it a very powerful video player. Kodi also comes with built-in support for subtitles. Let’s see how to add subtitles in the Kodi Krypton version.
What we will see here is the procedure to add subtitles in the last Kodi, which is version 17 Krypton. If you are using a previous version of Kodi, the interface may be slightly different, but the general procedure should remain the same or be very similar. Anyway, if your version is older, nothing will happen because you update it.
How to activate Kodi subtitles
1. Open Kodi and click on the Settings icon -> Player settings.
2. Go to the Language tab. Under Download Services, change the options shown below to read like this:
- Subtitle download languages: English (select the language you prefer here)
- Service for Default TV Programs: OpenSubtitles.org
- Default movie service: OpenSubtitles.org
If you click on “Get more,” you can also choose among other services that offer subtitles, such as DivXplanet or Subscene. In this example, we selected OpenSubtitles.
If you wish, you can spend some time trying different services until you find the one you like the most.
3. OpenSubtitles for Kodi requires that you have an account, so if you do not have one yet, you must create a free account by accessing their website. When you have created it, do not forget to check your email.
4. Go back to the Kodi home screen and go to Add-ons -> My add-ons.
5. Go to Subtitles -> OpenSubtitles.org.
6. Next, click Configure.
7. Enter your username and password with which you have registered and then click OK.
Now we have the subtitles activated in Kodi. Now let’s explain how to add subtitles to any videos.
How to show subtitles in a video with Kodi
From now on, whenever you are playing a TV show, a movie or any other video, you must click on the “Subtitles” icon in the lower right part of the interface.
1. Click on the icon that looks like a text balloon, next to the video options icon.
2. Next, select Download.
Now, you should see a list of available subtitle sources for the video you’re watching. When you click on any of them, the subtitles will be added to the video that is playing.
Sometimes, you may not find perfectly synchronized subtitles, and you may have to fiddle a bit or search for another source for the subtitles. In Kodi, you can even adjust the compensation time to get perfect synchronization between audio and video.
Add subtitles in different versions of Kodi
Using this method, you can watch subtitles while watching a movie or a TV show. If you have a different version of Kodi installed, the appearance or location of the options could be somewhat different, but the procedure should remain identical or very similar. In case this method does not work, do not hesitate to leave us a comment.